Chaplain based in the Glasgow area and covering a geographical area across the Railway Network in Scotland as part of the chaplaincy team.
This is a 21.5 hours per week post.
Who we are
Railway Mission has a distinctive Christian ethos*, working within a secular rail environment, sharing the gospel sensitively and in an appropriate manner, by word and deed. RM provides professional, independent, impartial, confidential pastoral care and support, that supplements the chain of care provided by the rail industry.
What we do
- Provide a post-incident support system for all responders and rail staff potentially affected by railway operations; including referrals from the Coroner’s Liaison Office.
- Engage in face to face interaction with rail staff at all levels from directors to trainees, across specified geographical areas, by extensive visitation and travel, to establish a relational basis for support within the industry. This will include visiting work places in the industry such as offices, stations and other installations and sites, home, hospital and residential/nursing home visits.
- Respond to opportunities to present and promote the support work of RM within the rail industry.
- Work according to set guidelines under the direction of the Executive Director through line managers, with the ability to organise the work using own initiative, with the absolute requirement of providing timely, accurate reports and timesheet, updated daily, to provide statistical information to rail industry stakeholders.
- The role demands a degree of flexibility within a set number of hours with work patterns that will be monitored. This requires availability in the event of a major incident, responding to the direction of the Executive Director or designated person.
- Encourage Christian groups and individuals within the rail industry, building on opportunities to enhance Christian influence within the industry. Speaking at groups and churches about the support work of RM.
*Ethos & Lifestyle
- Chaplaincy is being recognised more and more for its value within the industrial sector as an effective support mechanism for all.
- As a dedicated chaplaincy service specialising in the support of railway staff and those affected by railway related incidents, our team of chaplains are there to support you and your staff; regardless of faith, background, lifestyle or position in a company, our chaplains are there for everyone.
- From the part-time employee to the most senior director we provide a listening ear and shoulder to lean on in times difficulty.
All chaplains should:
- Exhibit the call of God to effectively engage in chaplaincy work within the rail environment.
- Display humility, sensitivity, awareness and understanding in inter-personal skills, and evidence of integrity, maturity and spirituality, including leadership qualities.
- Demonstrate keenness and urgency in soul winning and evangelism with sensitivity to the working environment.
- Ability to work on inter-denominational lines with churches and other groups.
- It is desirable that staff working for Railway Mission are computer literate as we use online tools for recording the work of chaplaincy.
Chaplaincy Lifestyle Statement
We believe that the Bible calls US to a distinctive lifestyle of discipleship. Our ministry requires US to demonstrate that lifestyle of discipleship, as we are likely to influence others.
Such a lifestyle includes regular Bible reading and prayer and active involvement in a Christian Fellowship. It is marked by a selfless attitude to money, possessions, time, work, leisure, social action and relationships. It demonstrates moral standards including an acceptance that the only appropriate place for a sexual relationship is within a marriage between a man and a woman.
Whilst we recognise that people often fall short of this ideal, we believe that grace and forgiveness are always available, and expect all the RM team to be committed to such a lifestyle.
Please use our application form to apply for this post: